Oxford-Harrington Rare Disease Centre Opens Call for Proposals
February 06, 2024
OXFORD, U.K. and CLEVELAND, Ohio USA–The Oxford-Harrington Rare Disease Centre (OHC), a partnership between the University of Oxford, U.K. and Harrington Discovery Institute at University Hospitals, Cleveland, Ohio, is seeking innovative projects for its 2024 Rare Disease Scholar Award, which advances promising discoveries from academic labs into clinical practice. In addition to grant funding, the award includes drug and business development support from pharma-experienced industry leaders with a track record of bringing therapeutics to market. Awardees have access to the Oxford-Harrington Rare Disease Centre Therapeutics Accelerator, which receives support from a partnership between University of Oxford, Oxford Science Enterprises, and University Hospitals in Cleveland, Ohio.
The OHC’s 2024 Rare Disease Scholar Award seeks novel approaches to treat rare diseases, with a focus on neurological disorders, developmental and metabolic disorders, and rare cancers. Applications directed to other rare, genetic indications with a high unmet need are also of interest. Any therapeutic modality will be considered. Intellectual property rights are retained by the award recipient or their institution.
Researchers in the U.S., U.K., and Canada are eligible to apply for this award. Successful applicants will receive:
- Guaranteed grant award of USD$100,000 for U.S.- and Canada-based awardees and £100,000 for U.K.-based awardees
- One year of therapeutics development support and project management from Harrington’s Therapeutics Development Center, with potential to renew for a second year based on milestones met
- Access to Oxford facilities and infrastructure including oligonucleotide synthesis and screening, small molecule and protein platforms, cell and gene therapy facilities as well as genomics capabilities, and links to Genomics England
- Opportunity to compete for acceleration funds up to USD$300,000 / £250,000
- Opportunity to qualify for investment funds at a higher level according to project requirements
- Invitation to present at the Harrington Discovery Institute Symposium for U.S.- and Canada-based awardees and the OHC Symposium for U.K.-based awardees
Award recipients will be selected by the OHC Scientific Advisory Board and announced in October 2024. Up to 10 OHC Scholars will be selected.
The deadline to submit a full application is March 26, 2024.
Learn more and apply: OxfordHarrington.org/Award